Instead of creating an Excel workbook from scratch, you can create a workbook based on a template. There are many free templates available, waiting to be used.
To create a workbook based on an existing template, execute the following steps.
1. On the File tab, click New.
2. Use the search box to search for online templates or click a template from one of the Office templates.
3. Click Create to download the template.
Excel creates the workbook Home inventory1.xlsx based on this template.
Create a Template
If you create your own template, you can safely store it in the Templates folder. As a result, you can create new workbooks based on this template without worrying that you overwrite the original file.
To create a template, execute the following steps.
1. Create a workbook.
2. On the File tab, click Save As.
3. Click Browse.
4. Enter a file name.
5. Select Excel Template (*.xltx) from the drop-down list.
Excel automatically activates the Templates folder. Notice the location of the Templates folder on your computer. It's usually located here:
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Custom Office Templates